The goal of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Bridges to the Baccalaureate (B2B) Scholars Program is to increase the number of Virginia Community College System (VCCS) students transferring to 4-year institutions and pursuing degrees and research paths in biomedical and behavioral sciences. Our program provides resources for obtaining research experience, professional and skills development activities, and support during your undergraduate career.
The B2B Program is open to students transferring from New River, Northern Virginia (Manassas and Woodbridge campuses) , and Southwest Virginia Community Colleges to Virginia Tech. Applicants to the program must be interested in biomedical and/or behavioral science careers and participating in undergraduate research. Application period is now closed.
B2B Summer Research Program
The Bridges to the Baccalaureate (B2B) Summer Research Internship Program is an NIH supported program that is open to students at New River, Northern Virginia (Manassas and Woodbridge campuses), and Southwest Virginia Community Colleges. B2B aims to increase the number of transfer students pursuing degrees and research opportunities in biomedical and behavioral sciences.
Students will be notified of our decision by email on February 20, 2017.
- A 10-week summer research experience at Virginia Tech with a research mentor
- 40 hours weekly, plus academic and professional development activities
- Student research showcased at research symposium
- Currently enrolled in a partner community college
- Must not have completed a bachelor's degree
- Interested in pursuing a bachelor's degree in a biomedical or behavioral science discipline
- Completed one year of Chemisty or Biology
- Paid, mentored research experience
- Virginia Tech room and board provided
- Preparation for career and/or graduate study
- Opportunities to attend and present at national conferences